Thursday, June 25, 2009

Catching Up

Okay, sorry I haven't been really posting anything lately, but you see, I've fallen asleep immediately upon arrival back at the hotel the first few nights, and then I bought a journal, and have been writing down whatever Dad and I did that day (except when I fell asleep, then I did it the next morning). So, I admit I have not been very constant with the blog. Now. About the last couple entries I posted. They say that they were posted by Dad, but they are signed by moi. This is because I wrote them from Dad's mobile phone when we first arrived here in Japan (which is fantastic, by the way). When one (me/Dad) posts from the phone, it say it is posted by Dad. A couple days after settling in, Dad set up this thing on his phone that lets me post something on it and have it say it was posted by me. Of course, now we have access to a computer, until at least we go home, but that is more than a week away (YAY!!!! MORE THAN A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and by then this blog will most likely be terminated because Dad and I will be back in the U.S. =( So what am I worrying about? Nothing. Now, what was I going to talk about... oh yes. The Lucky Cat. Everywhere you go in Japan, there is a cat (either in gold, white, or black) that is highly decorated and is waving its arm to us all. I saw a sign once that said is a Lucky Cat. I enclosed a picture (asked Dad to do it for me) of the cats.
IMG_1290
Sorry it is not high quality. They are in a store window. Now, I am going to look up the Lucky Cat and get back to you on what it is...because it is bugging me, seeing it everywhere and not knowing what it means... ok, so "Lucky Cat" is a nickname. The cat's real name is Maneki Neko, which means "beckoning cat" in English. It brings good fortune, happiness, and prosperity. They are placed at the opening of shops and homes. The white cat invites happiness, the golden cat brings riches (apparently there is no black Lucky Cat), the one raising its left paw is inviting customers into businesses, and the one raising its right paw is inviting prosperity. So now I know about the Lucky Cat. Interesting. I doubt I will forget this soon... wait, what am I not forgetting? (Just kidding!)

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Sam, We loved the description of the Lucky Cats. Sounds like you're having a great time!
    Have fun for the rest of the visit. Love, Grandma and Grandpa

    ReplyDelete